Whether by car, plane, train, or bus – getting to Madesimo and Campodolcino is easy in any season!
Before traveling, we recommend checking the latest travel and safety advisories regarding Coronavirus. In addition, it is mandatory to have snow tires or chains on board your vehicle throughout the winter months.
From Milan & Lombardy
From Switzerland & Abroad
For tourists from Switzerland and Northern Europe however, the options change according to the seasons.
The Spluga Pass is generally open from the beginning of May until the end of November, while in the winter months you can reach Madesimo via the Julier Pass and Maloja. Click here to verify the opening conditions of the mountain passes.
Travel Times & Tips
Here are some approximate travel times by car:
- Milano/Madesimo 139 km (2 hours)
- Lecco/Madesimo 85 km (1 hour and 30 mins.)
- Como/Madesimo 104 km (2 hours)
- Lugano/Madesimo 117 km (1 hour and 30 mins.)
- Zurigo/Madesimo 191 km (2 hours)
Before travelling, please check the latest safety regulations and recommendations regarding Coronavirus. During the winter season, you are required to use snow tires or keep chains on board your vehicle.
By Public Transport
Public Trains & Buses
Madesimo and Campodolcino can also be reached easily by public transport. The nearest railway station is in Chiavenna which is only 18 km away from Campodolcino and 25 km from Madesimo. From Chiavenna it is possible to reach Madesimo using a bus that coincides with the arrival and departure of the trains.
- To consult the train timetables please visit Trenitalia.
Autostradale bus Milan to Madesimo:
Bus Timetable in PDF
Please purchase your tickets ahead of time as tickets are not available for sale onboard.
- Trattoria Due Spade in Campodolcino
- Infopoint Madesimo
- Bar Pasticceria Stella in Madesimo
- Tickets can also be purchased online with the myCicero app.
Free Valle Spluga Shuttle
Madesimo / Motta
The road from Madesimo to Alpe Motta is open to traffic everyday. The shuttle service will resume next summer.
Fraciscio / Campodolcino / Isola / Pianazzo / Madesimo / Motta
The road from Fraciscio, Campodolcino, Isola, Pianazzo, Madesimo and Alpe Motta is open to traffic everyday. The shuttle service will resume next summer.
Other Transport Solutions
The Sky Express Funicular
The Sky Express is a funicular that connects Campodolcino at an altitude of 1082 m. with Motta at 1721 m., suitable for both pedestrians and skiers.
- Adult – Oneway € 7.00; Return € 12.00
- Junior – (born 2005 to 2012) Oneway € 6.00; Return € 10.00
- Senior – (1957 or earlier) Oneway € 6.00; Return € 11,00
- Skiers – Skier tarrifs can be found on www.skiareavalchiavenna.it
The Io Viaggio In Lombardia card is valid on this transport.
Info for Tour Buses
Madesimo is also reachable by private tour bus, but please note the following regulations & size restrictions:
- Coming from Chiavenna, no vehicles over 13 meters long and 4.25 meters high
- From Campodolcino to Madesimo it is compulsory to travel on the SP1 towards Isola
- For the Spluga Pass on the Swiss side: max width of 2.55 meters + max length 10 meters. Permit also required.
For more information, please contact the relevant authorities.
Taxi Services & Contacts
Madesimo and Campodolcino are easily reachable with numerous low cost airlines. The nearest airports are:
- Bergamo Orio al Serio 124 km (2 hours and 10 mins.)
- Milano Linate 142 km (2 hours and 10 mins.)
- Milano Malpensa 173 km (2 hours and 30 mins.)